Sunday 28 August 2011

The Birthday!!

Korcula - Croatia


Day 5
Anyone who knows me well knows I love birthdays.... Mine especially but if you mean something to me then I'll love your birthday too! So it's the brothers 28th birthday.... I get up with him for breaky and sneak off half way through to grab his pressies (I'd been hiding them in the girls room) to return to find he has left breakfast already... I frantically hunt around the boat for him till I find him the the English boy who was also celebrating a birthday - 14 years old!! Exactly half of the brothers age... I gave out my pressies (a striped towel and shorts) and was pleased by the big smiles as he unwrapped them! The shorts went on immediately and didn't come off for the rest of the boat trip!

Not long and we were off sailing again to our swimming spot... it was a tad windy today but still nice and warm!! We stopped a little way off a small island and we all jumped in, it wasn't long till we all got out though as the water was really quiet cold! I basked in the sunshine on the deck while the brother decided to swim to the island with the English birthday boy. As you all know the brother is a good swimmer, wish we could of said the same for the other birthday boy.... his parents weren't aware that he was going until he was already half way there and because of the wind the water looked rather choppy and like it had a bit of a current (it really did look a lot worse then what it was). The brother reached the shore as the other birthday boy struggled behind. At this point I hear the parents starting to panic so I tried to reassure them that the brother was a life guard in Australia for quiet some time and that he was a school teacher also so there isn't anything to worry about as he will be looked after. This didn't ease their worries so instead got crew on the boat to send out the life raft from the boat to go and pick them up. The birthday boys were completely oblivious to this whole situation unfolding back on the boat until they were picked up... woooops! The brother was feeling a tad guilty but everyone re assured them that it wasn't an issue!!

So after this eventful stop we head to our destination for the day Korcula. They call Korcula a mini Dubrovnik... its nice but it isn't that nice! We decide to have a quick look around the town: more old buildings, town walls and shiny stone. It is nice but all of these towns are starting to look the same and the storied of the towns are all very similar so the brother and I decide that we don't need to do the detailed tour and just have a quick look while eating some more ice cream before heading to a bar for afternoon cocktails with the WA girls. A few mojitos later we see an internet cafe so decide to check up on whats been happening.... we did this while the girls went back to the boat to get everyone organised to meet for drinks for the brothers birthday. I stayed and used the internet for a bit before heading off to get ready so I wouldn't get in trouble for being late. I headed off walking up a new street and stopping in a couple of little shops along the way feeling good about being in a foreign country and looking around alone. I kept walking up past what seemed to be a local supermarket slash bottle shop with a lot of old Croatian men outside and kept walking around these winding streets laced with houses. After about 5-6 minutes I realised I had no idea where I was going but thought I couldn't be going in the wrong direction so kept going as the start of the town must be up over the hill.... hmmmm a few more minutes pass and I decide to go back to where I came from as I was feeling very lost and had lost my little buzz about being on my own in a foreign country... I was hoping the brother was still in the Internet cafe otherwise I'd have no idea how to get back to the boat. As I walked back I was getting very worried and very nervous.... What would I do? Where would I go? Who would I ask for help? I get back to the cafe and the brother isn't there: SHIT!!! I panic inside, I get the feeling then your stomach but had to make a decision - I keep walking... as I start walking in the opposite direction of the internet cafe I see our boat. It was literally moored 50 meters from the cafe... PHEW!!! I was sooo relieved, I went back to the boat and got ready really quick and told the brother the story - he laughed at me but said he was a tad concerned when I didn't answer the door to our room! So lucky!!!

About 10 people from the boat decided to come for cocktails on the town wall/castle look alike roof top cocktail bar. We all head over there and when we get there realised that you have to climb up quiet a big ladder to get to the top and then have to climb down it later on when you are a few cocktails in!! Once  we were up it was full of Aussies but we didn't mind as we had a big table for us all to sit at while they had to stand and scrambled around the edges. We all placed our order and watched in amazement how they placed the order then bring them up... basically it looks like a bike basket that is on a very simple pulley - clip the order to the basket and lower it then wait for the basket to be full with drinks and pull it back up.... impressive that they don't spill any!!! Who needs a dumb waiter when you have a bike basket and a piece of rope! We all had a few cocktails and most of them where delicious - my 5 Bloody Marys were delicious and watched the sun set. It was soo beautiful watching the sky turn pink and orange and set over the water behind the boats. We were all tAaking photos of the sunset when we realised that there are huge sections missing around the edges that went all the way to the ground... kinda dangerous considering all the drunk people around!!!

The castle wall rooftop cockail bar!

After a few cocktails we all decided we needed some food... The brother wanted pizza (by this point I'm sooooooo over pizza, it's just pizza pizza everywhere!!!) so we weaved our way through the streets of Korcula to a pizzeria... the brother and I had already had a few drinks by this point so were being our usual selves and being quiet silly making fun of things... trying to read Croatian and then pronounce it (I believe it sounded something like raaacaaachhtataaataaa) hahaha it was very humorous....  to us two anyway!!So we had some pizza and more beers then off to another cocktail bar to have more cocktails! While at this bar we were checking out a few of the boats moored in the harbour and we came across Bono's boat and there were rumours that Jay Z may of been there and JLo but who knows.... the boats were definitely big enough - helicopters included!!! So after more cocktails, ice cream and a crappy night club with the brother pole dancing it was only the brother and one of the WA girls and myself left out...  us girls were ready for bed so convinced the brother it was time to sleep - at this point all of the bogan Aussies were out and causing a ruckus so I was well and truly over it, it was bed time!
So off to bed only to wake up in a new paridise on the Adriatic Sea in the morning!


The drink pulley


Climbing the long ladder down to the bathroom

The stripy shorts

1 comment: