Wednesday 31 October 2012

Clearing the clutter

I hate culling. Weather it be clothes, shoes, kitchen appliances or the dreaded wedding list cull. My problem is that I horde first making culling a generally lengthy process. I'm not a hoarder in the sense of those shows where people have to live in their yard because their house is so full of junk, more of the 'I wore that top once, 3 years ago and I like it but it doesn't fit in with my the rest of my clothes right now' type of hoarder. Or the type were I think something just might come back into fashion so Ill hold onto it just in case type of hoarder. I can remember being little and my mum bringing out some of the clothes she had when she was a teenager, I was mortified to know that she had thrown away soooo many cool items I wish I was able to get my hands on. I think this is where it started. Oh and don't get me started on the sentimental hoarding!

I'm also starting to realise that my lover is a slight hoarder, yesterday when I mentioned to him that we were going through our apartment and throwing out all the clutter he was fine.... Until I mentioned specific items like the stuffed monkey he won me at the Easter show and the pots and pans (weird as he doesn't really cook). There was a huff and a pout, it as cute but it was then that I realised this might be easier on my own. So today I started, I was ruthless - throwing out things that I haven't used in years but have held onto just in case... a lot of these items have survived about 10 culls in their life.  The reason for the cull steamed from writing the guest list for our wedding.... Now that's a hard job. At first and with the first list we wrote it was easy, but as the weeks go on people keep popping up and getting added to the list until it grows beyond what you ever imagined! I originally wanted only 30 people at the wedding, that soon increased to 60 and at this point the list is somewhere around 85. It needs to get down to 70 TOPS! Now you might wonder what this has to do with a clean out.... well firstly I'm hoping a clean and organised life without clutter will help my stress levels and help me see clearer (here is hoping) and the second is procrastinating.... just like I am doing now, blogging instead of culling! ha

I've now wasted to much time and have to go to work, I guess ill continue the cull tomorrow while I spend the rest of the day mentally going over the wedding list and applying our new selection process: They have to have met both of us and spent time with both of us and has to of been frequently in the last year..... lets hope this works or we might just need to find a new reception location!



No comments:

Post a Comment